The Mendips offer a wonderful variety of countryside walks and outdoor activities. But what about more formal landscapes and gardens? Here are some suggestions for places to visit within the local area:
- The Organic Gardens at Holt Fam. Over 6.5 acres of beautiful gardens surrounding Holt Farm (where they make Yeo Valley Yoghurt). Coffee, Lunch, Tea and Cake available in the Garden Café. Open Thursdays and Fridays between 5 May and 30 September 2016.
- Chew Valley Lake. Two pushchair friendly Nature trails around the reservoir. Lovely for an easy stroll followed by superb fish and chips at “Salt and Malt”, run by chef John Eggleton from the award winning Pony and Trap at Chew Magna.
- The Secret Gardens at Kilver Court, Shepton Mallet. First created over 100 years ago by Ernest Jardine, a progressive industrialist who wanted to give his workforce inspirational working conditions the Secret Gardens are a pleasant retreat from the designer shops, cafe and restaurant that surround it at Kilver Court. Click here to read more about Kilver Court
- Milton Lodge Gardens– High up on the Mendips, to the North of Wells is Milton Lodge, a Grade II, terraced garden with views of Wells Cathedral and the Vale of Avalon.
- Ston Easton Park, Radstock. Productive walled Victorian Kitchen Garden, octagonal rose garden, stunning herbaceous border, fruit cage & orchard. Only open on certain days through the National Garden Scheme